We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A county in Kentucky.
(APA-69: dp. 4,247; 1. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 17 k.;
cpl. 320; a. 1 6'; cl. Gilliam)
Carlisle (APA-69) was launched 30 July 1944 by Consolidated Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. E. C. Parsons; acquired by the Navy 28 November 1944- and commissioned the next day, Commander H. R. Adams in command.
Carlisle cleared San Diego 23 January 1945, carrying sailors, marines, and general cargo to Pearl Harbor. She returned to San Francisco 11 February, and after repairs, sailed to San Diego to load passengers and cargo for Pearl Harbor. Between 2 April and 6 June, she had duty training and transporting Marine units among the islands of the Hawaiian group. Carlisle made three voyages to the west coast from Hawaii and Japan, and shorter passages among South Pacific islands, redeploying servicemen until 4 February 1946. She was assigned as a test vessel for Operation "Crossroads," and was sunk at Bikini 1 July 1946 in atomic weapons tests.
Using V2T vents, the vent secured system creates a suction effect that strengthens the entire roof and holds the membrane securely in place.
EPDM - Sure-Seal®
Ideal for use in fully-adhered and ballasted assemblies, a contractor-friendly option for both new construction and re-roofing projects.
EPDM - Sure-Tough™
Internally-reinforced EPDM membrane is ideal for either fully adhered or mechanically attached roofing systems.
EPDM - Sure-White®
Ideal for building owners looking to reduce air conditioning costs in their building, without compromising performance.
EPDM - FleeceBACK®
Externally reinforced EPDM membrane for exceptional wind uplift, hail and puncture resistance in adhered systems.
Splice tape is factory-applied to boost installation productivity and enhance seam quality.
Accessories featuring pre-applied adhesive allow clean and efficient completion of details.
Insulation and Cover Boards
Multiple options for adding energy efficiency and protection from wind uplift damage and high traffic areas.
Adhesives, Primers, and More
Industry leading products used for bonding, splicing, and cleaning membranes.
Navy Seabees Built and Fought in Vietnam
On the morning of July 1, 1967, Chief Petty Officer Joseph Herrara of Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 11 was driving a truck near Da Nang Air Base when a lone Viet Cong soldier fired a poisonous dart that shattered a window and caused a deep gash in the chief’s arm. Realizing he was under attack, Herrara switched off the engine and got out. As he ran toward the back of the truck, a bullet struck his belt loop. He drew his pistol and made his way to a ditch across the road. He spotted the Viet Cong and fired four rounds before chasing him. The Viet Cong threw a grenade, and Herrara hit the ground, waiting for an explosion that didn’t come. He slowly rose and inspected the grenade its safety pin was still partially in place. The Navy construction man had survived the sudden attack.
Two years earlier, on June 10, 1965, steelworker Petty Officer 2nd Class William C. Hoover from the same battalion was less fortunate. When Viet Cong attacked the U.S. Army Special Forces camp at Dong Xoai, about 55 miles northeast of Saigon, Hoover was wounded in the initial mortar shelling but continued firing and was killed later in the battle. Posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal with a “V” device for valor, Hoover was the first person from the Navy’s construction battalions—abbreviated CBs and called “Seabees”—killed in the Vietnam War.
Trained for combat as well as construction, Seabees frequently found themselves in the thick of the fighting and just as often distinguished themselves with their heroism. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., includes 85 Seabees among its list of war dead—a tribute to their motto, “We build, we fight,” which is symbolized in their logo of a bee holding a wrench, hammer and machine gun.
I served in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969 as a swift boat maintenance and repair electrician aboard the landing craft repair ship USS Krishna. We were anchored near An Thoi, a fishing village on the southern tip of Phu Quoc Island in the Gulf of Thailand. When the site became the home of the first swift boat division in Vietnam in December 1965, the Seabees were short on virtually everything needed to build the base, so the Krishna served as their supply depot. That all changed after Secretary of the Navy Paul Nitze visited in 1966. After living in a tent for a few days and taking part in some swift boat patrols, Nitze made sure the Navy delivered the materials needed to make life at least a little more bearable. In short order, the Seabees, with a hand from the Krishna and swift boat crews, had the buildings up and occupied, including Quonset huts, the military’s old standby in prefabricated metal structures used for officers housing, storage and recreation.
The Seabees at An Thoi were continuing a tradition that began in the summer of 1940 when the Navy’s Bureau of Yards and Docks began to build Naval Air Station Quonset Point, near Davisville, Rhode Island. The new huts were designed in two primary sizes—20 feet by 48 feet and 40 feet by 100 feet—and could be connected side-by-side and end-to-end, offering numerous configurations.
Assistance to local communities
was a priority for Seabees, who trained Vietnamese in construction techniques. (Naval History and Heritage Command)
In the 1930s, as Japan’s expansion in the Pacific increased the prospects for war, the Navy had begun building bases on islands in the region. The work was initially done by civilian construction contractors, but after the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor pushed the United States’ into war, the Navy needed to replace the civilian workers with military construction personnel who could engage in combat if necessary.
On Jan. 5, 1942, Navy officials authorized the Bureau of Yards and Docks to organize battalions of armed military construction workers. Within days, men just out of basic training gathered at Quonset Point to learn how to use construction equipment and build the huts before shipping off to Charleston, South Carolina, where they established the Navy’s first construction unit on Jan. 21. Although called a construction battalion, the unit comprised only 250-300 men—not much bigger than a company. One week later they shipped out to build a fueling station on Bora Bora. The men, initially dubbed “Bobcats,” after the operation’s code name, reached Bora Bora on Feb. 17.
The Navy officially named its construction battalions “Seabees,” on March 5, 1942. Ten days later in Norfolk, Virginia, the Seabees formed their first true battalion-sized unit with a headquarters organization and four companies, totaling about 1,000 men. In April the battalion split into two detachments, and each sailed to different islands in the Pacific. Although the first Seabees went to the war zone with little more than basic training, by the end of June 1942, the Navy had established “advance base depots” for advanced military and construction training in Davisville Port Hueneme, north of Los Angeles and Gulfport, Mississippi.
During World War II, about 325,000 Seabees served on six continents and 300 islands. Their gallantry caught the attention of Republic Pictures Corp., which released The Fighting Seabees, starring John Wayne, in January 1944.
Rapid postwar demobilization left the Seabee force with just 2,800 men at the onset of the Korean War on June 25, 1950. The Navy quickly put about 10,000 members of the Naval Reserve Seabee program on active duty, and Seabees were among Gen. Douglas MacArthur’s troops who landed at Inchon on Sept. 15, 1950, and forced a North Korean retreat. An armistice that stopped the fighting and set up a demilitarized zone was signed on July 27, 1953.
Three years later, in the summer of 1956, a team of Seabees arrived in the Republic of Vietnam, created just two years earlier when the country was split into a communist North and noncommunist South after French colonial rule ended. The Seabees’ initial task was to survey approximately 1,800 miles of current and proposed roads across South Vietnam. They worked seven days a week for two months in challenging terrain and then left Vietnam after completing their assignment. Years later, those surveys would be crucial in the construction of roads essential for U.S. military operations in the country.
In 1963, Seabee teams were once again in South Vietnam, constructing U.S. Army Special Forces camps being established to help counter the political influence and armed threats of the Viet Cong in rural areas. The Seabees also assisted civilian communities with projects that included construction of hospitals and storage facilities and digging wells for drinking water.
The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, passed by Congress in August 1964, gave President Lyndon B. Johnson the authority to send combat troops to Vietnam. On March 8, 1965, the Marines were the first ashore, landing at Da Nang in the northern part of South Vietnam. On May 7, Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 10 was the first Seabee battalion in Vietnam after the introduction of combat forces, arriving to build an airfield for the Marines at Chu Lai.
Dozens of other Seabee units soon followed, including more than 20 mobile construction battalions, the 3rd Naval Construction Brigade, the 30th Naval Construction Regiment, the 32nd Naval Construction Regiment, construction battalion maintenance units 301 and 302, and amphibious construction battalions 1 and 2. Seabees served in 22 provinces from the Mekong Delta, up through the Central Highlands, to the border with North Vietnam at the Demilitarized Zone. They not only performed their assigned construction tasks for the military, but also helped teach the Vietnamese construction techniques.
Force protection was crucial for Seabee work crews in isolated and vulnerable areas. (U.S. Navy Seabee Museum)
Early on, the Seabees discovered that there would be many times when they had to put down their hammers and pick up their weapons. Among the most prominent gunfights in Seabee lore is the June 1965 Dong Xoai battle in which Hoover was killed. The American camp at Dong Xoai was defended by 11 Special Forces soldiers and nine members of Seabees Team 1104 from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 11. Seven of the Seabees were wounded, and killed along with Hoover was Petty Officer 3rd Class Marvin Shields, a construction mechanic. Shields posthumously received the Medal of Honor for carrying a wounded man to safety and destroying a Viet Cong machine gun emplacement before dying. He was the only Seabee awarded the nation’s highest honor and the first Navy man to receive it in Vietnam.
In October 1965, the Viet Cong attacked the Marble Mountain airfield, just south of Da Nang, inflicting severe damage on U.S. aircraft and a base hospital being constructed by Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 9. Eight Seabee-built Quonset huts used for X-rays, labs and surgical wards were destroyed. Two Seabees were killed and more than 90 wounded. After the attack it was—as always—“all hands on deck” to rebuild the hospital and living quarters. The Seabees accomplished that task in just three months.
FedEx Corp. CEO Frederick W. Smith, who served two tours in Vietnam as a Marine officer, worked with Seabees during the war. “I first saw the Navy Seabees’ abilities at Marble Mountain, where I was stationed in Vietnam on my second tour,” Smith recalled in 2016. “The Seabees built this airfield, bulldozing sand dunes and laying steel runways to accommodate heavy traffic. They also built a 660-tent camp and a huge mess hall, working alongside Marines under tough conditions, including enemy fire.”
By the final months of 1965 the Seabees had established large bases in Da Nang, Chu Lai and Phu Bai in South Vietnam’s northern provinces. The bases provided combat forces the support required to increase their attacks and were instrumental in defeating Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army offensives around the Demilitarized Zone and Laotian border.
As U.S. forces in South Vietnam gradually increased, so did the need for Seabees to build facilities for those troops. In mid-1965 there were 9,400 Seabees in Vietnam, and that number increased to 14,000 over the next 12 months. By 1967 there were 20,000, and over the following two years the number peaked at more than 26,000. Typically, deployed Seabees spent eight months in Vietnam, returned stateside for six months in Davisville and then went back to Vietnam for a second eight-month tour.
To support the demand for Seabees, the Navy made a concerted effort to recruit skilled construction trade workers. Using advanced pay grades as an incentive, a program for “direct procurement” of petty officers was very effective: More than 13,000 signed up.
In 1966 the Seabees were expanding the initial bases and building permanent facilities for men and equipment. They went into Quang Tri, the province closest to North Vietnam, to construct concrete bunkers overlooking the Ho Chi Minh Trail, and they built structures for the Marine base in Dong Ha, about 12 miles south of the DMZ.
The next year brought still more construction projects. An airfield in Dong Ha and Liberty Bridge south of Da Nang were on the Seabees’ endless “to do” list. Despite the challenges of working during the monsoon season, they finished the airstrip in 38 days. The bridge, more than 2,000 feet long, was completed in five months. Among the other projects in 1967 was the construction of officers housing for swift boat skippers in Chu Lai.
The ever-resourceful Seabees also created barbecue grills from modified 55-gallon drums that had drilled-out sections of deck plate installed on them for cooking hot dogs, hamburgers and even chicken. We had one at An Thoi and used it when we visited a nearby island beach.
Jacks of all trades, the Seabees performed
tasks that included constructing huts for the Marines, laying pipes, working on power distribution systems and surveying more than 1,000 miles for roads across Vietnam, a crucial job done in challenging and dangerous conditions—sometimes in enemy-held territory. (U.S. Navy Seabee Museum)
When the communists’ Tet Offensive began on Jan. 31, 1968, the Seabees were on the battlefield alongside the Marines and Army. Much of South Vietnam’s third-largest city, Hue, in the northern part of the country, crumbled during the struggle, and Seabees stationed about 8 miles to the south at Phu Bai were called to rebuild a critically needed concrete bridge. After enemy snipers began to fire on the construction team, it immediately formed a combat force, eliminated the sniper fire and finished the bridge. In spring 1968, the Seabees rebuilt the railroad from Da Nang to Hue, completing a project that had been halted for three years due to relentless enemy fire.
American military operations were significantly reduced after June 1969, when President Richard Nixon announced his Vietnamization policy of gradually withdrawing U.S. troops and transferring combat responsibility to the South Vietnamese. But the Seabees continued to be busy. For instance, they built coastal bases and radar operation centers in the Mekong Delta that enabled the South Vietnamese to assume coastal surveillance operations previously conducted by American swift boats.
On June 23, 1970, the last units of Seabees left Vietnam from Chu Lai’s Camp Shields, a site that had been renamed in September 1965 to honor the Medal of Honor recipient. Their work had not only assisted the military but also improved the lives of South Vietnamese civilians. They had built bridges, docks, schools and hospitals. They had dug wells and paved roads to provide access to farms and bring medical treatments to villagers. Such efforts proved the Seabees were not just fighters, but also “builders of peace.”
After his discharge from the Navy, Tom Edwards earned an engineering degree and spent most of his career as senior facilities engineer with General Dynamics-Space Systems Division in San Diego. He thanks Jack Springle of the Seabee Museum and Memorial Park and Bob Bolger and Bob Brown of the Swift Boat Sailors Association for their help with this article.
Stylist Feature Donna Goodman
Discover new ways to wear it and how to integrate it into your wardrobe. Whether you're looking for a dress for a special occasion or trying to find something to update your look, our team of stylists are here to help you. Try our complimentary styling services.
For over 35 years, Carlisle has designed luxury women's clothing for women with incredible taste. Discover timeless tweeds, luxuriant silks, intricate brocades, butter-soft leather, opulent cashmere, and more. Thoughtful tailoring in pants, dresses, blouses, and skirts delivers wardrobe classics and statement styles alike. Find outfits for date nights, cocktail parties, weekend errands, brunches and everything in between — everyday elegance is a moniker of Carlisle Collection and Per Se.
Find A Stylist — discover ways to make your wardrobe work for you like it never has before. We'll pair you with a stylist in your area or someone you can chat with virtually so you'll always have the outfit for every occasion.
Welcome to Carlisle College
At Carlisle College we have invested in world class facilities and the best teaching so that your learning is more relevant, realistic and enjoyable, providing you with the perfect route into further study or employment.
In recent years we have invested over £30 million in our city centre campus. Our new facilities include state of the art equipment and resources, which significantly expands our modern campus into a real learning community.
Carlisle College provides students with the best facilities that reflect those found in industry, combined with teaching staff who are experts in their fields and have real life industry experience – a perfect combination to allow students to realise their career ambitions.
See the menu above for an overview of our courses and if you need any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our main reception on 01228 822700 or [email protected]
For an insight into Carlisle College, see our latest video below.
Take a look at what Oyster, our restaurant and bistro and Essence, our hair, beauty and complementary therapies salon have to offer.
The 3rd Division (later re-designated as the 3rd Infantry division on August 1, 1942) was organized at Camp Greene, North Carolina, November 21, 1917. The division was composed of the 4th, 7th, 30th, and 38th Infantry Regiments, the 10th, 18th, and 76th FA Regiments, and the 6th Engineer Regiment, with a total of 28,000 men. It underwent training at Camp Green, North Carolina and Fort Bliss, Texas, and shipped to France, arriving in April 1918. A monument to the origination of the 3rd Infantry Division stands today in Charlotte, North Carolina, at the corner of Wilkinson Blvd., and Monument Street.
The division earned the designation “Rock of the Marne” at the Marne River near Chateau-Thierry on July 15, 1918. When flanking units retreated, then Division Commander, Major General Joseph Dickman, told our French Allies “Nous Resterons La” (we shall remain here). This motto is on the 3rd Infantry Division’s distinctive insignia.
Although the stand was successful, the price was high. General “Black Jack” Pershing said it best when he called the Division’s performance “one of the most brilliant in our military annals.” The division earned six battle stars in WWI. The 3rd Infantry Division Soldiers were awarded two Medals of Honor during WWI.
WORLD WAR II
World War II added even greater glory to the Marne Legend. The Division was credited with 531 combat days which was the most combat days of any unit in the European Theatre. The 3rd Infantry Division fought in places like Casablanca, Anzio, Rome, the Vosges Mountains, Colmar, the Siegfried Line, Palermo, Nurnberg, Munich, Berchtesgaden, and Salzburg.
The 3rd Infantry Division was the only U.S. unit that served in all 10 campaigns of the war, participated in four amphibious landings, and suffered the most casualties of any U. S. unit in the theatre.
The most decorated Soldier in World War II was Lieutenant Audie L. Murphy, who served with the 15th Infantry Regiment in Italy and France. Thirty-nine (39) Soldiers of the Division were awarded the Medal of Honor. Further, 133 Distinguished Service Crosses and over 2000 Silver Stars were awarded.
Early in the Korea Conflict, General MacArthur specifically asked for the 3rd Infantry Division for his Far East Command. The Division became known as “The Fire Brigade” for quickly moving up to cover breaks in the UN lines. On one cold and stormy night in May 1951, the division was given orders to disengage on the east coast and move all the way across Korea to stop a major enemy breakthrough in the west. No one thought it could be done, including the officers who gave the order. The officers and men of the 3rd Infantry Division loaded onto trucks, and 30 hours later, they engaged and stopped the advance of the large hostile force. The Chinese were amazed. They were fighting and losing to the 3rd Infantry Division, which they thought was still on the east coast.
The “Fire Brigade” received eight Battle Stars and added 13 Medal of Honor recipients, bringing the total number of Medals of Honor earned by members of the 3rd Infantry Division to 54. The 7th Infantry Regiment recorded more combat time than any other infantry unit in Korea. The Division left Korea on 10/30/54.
The Cold War officially extended from February 1945 through August 1991. The 3rd Infantry Division advance units moved to Germany in April 1958. This was a difficult period in our history. Western Europe was in the process of rebuilding and establishing a democratic from of government in the occupied zones. The communist block of nations, led by the former USSR, was determined to spread communism through the world. Europe was believed to be in a position of weakness. The 3rd Infantry Division arrived in Germany and may have been responsible for changing history. Not unlike WWII, the countries on the continent were not politically, or militarily, in a position to defend themselves. The allies had more work to do.
The 3rd Infantry Division Headquarters was in Leighton Barracks in Wurzburg. Other units were located in Bamberg, Aschaffenburg, Schweinfurt, Kitzingen, Wurzburg, Heilbronn, Bad Kissingen, Wertheim, and Wildflecken. Units were moved on some occasions based on military necessity. The Division stood as a symbol of strength for negotiations and a barrier to communist expansion on a military level. The Cold War was won and the standoff ended in August 1991.
Elements of the Division were formed and answered the call for service in Vietnam. The 3rd Battalion of the 7th Infantry Regiment (Cotton Balers) was organized in 1966 at Fort Benning and went to Vietnam on 12/10/66, attached to the 199th Infantry Brigade. The unit conducted operations in Dong Nai Province until the Tet Offensive in 1968. The communists struck quickly and overran portions of the capital of Saigon. The 3rd Battalion and other forces neutralized the enemy forces, and by mid-February, the capital was firmly in allied hands. The 7th spent two more years in Vietnam and returned to Fort Benning on October 11, 1970. The 7th earned 11 campaign Participation Credits.
In April 1958, the Marne Division returned to Germany to secure Western Europe and ultimately win the Cold War.
No battle credit was earned in Vietnam. The 3rd Infantry Division did not serve as a division or even as a regiment. One battalion was attached and served honorably during this conflict.
In November 1990, Soldiers of the 3rd Infantry Division were once again called into action. Following Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait, over 6,000 Marne men and women deployed with Operation Desert Storm as part of the Allied Coalition which brought a swift end to Saddam Hussein’s military aggression in the Gulf region. Nearly 1,000 soldiers deployed to southeastern Turkey and northern Iraq to provide comfort to Kurdish refugees. Almost 1000 were part of Task Force Victory, which began the task of rebuilding Kuwait.
A new chapter of Marne history has begun with the designation of the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) at Fort Stewart and Ft. Benning. The units are now at Fort Stewart, Georgia, and Ft. Benning, Georgia, and the Aviation Brigade is at Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia.
Although the Division did not receive battle credit, some units served with other Army groups at the conflicts in Bosnia and Croatia in 2000-2001.
Early in 2003, the fighting capability of the Marne Division was highly visible worldwide when the entire Division deployed to Kuwait. It was called on subsequently to spearhead coalition forces in Operation Iraqi Freedom, fighting its way to Baghdad in early April, which led to the end of the Saddam Hussein government that imposed tyranny over the people of Iraq. During the capture and clearing of the Baghdad Airport, another Medal of Honor was awarded. Paul R. Smith received his medal posthumously for his actions that saved the lives of many American soldiers.
Subsequent tours by the 3rd Infantry Division, led to the eventual establishment of a democratic government in Iraq, though continued efforts have been necessary to maintain it. With the close of combat operations in Iraq, the division moved on to Afghanistan and continued combat operations and training missions (advise and assist) to prepare the Afghan Army and police to take over responsibility for security in a very difficult military and political climate. The division and aviation brigade then redeployed to duty stations in the U.S.
Soon after, the Division answered the call to arms with units deployed to hostile territory in Afghanistan. These advise and assist missions train and prepare the Afghan Army and security forces to take, hold, and occupy large areas of their nation. The final chapter to the legend and glory of the 3rd Infantry Division is yet to be written.
The Bikini islanders were historically loyal to a king, or Irojj. After the Marshall Islands separated from the United States in the Compact of Free Association in 1986, its constitution established a bicameral parliament. The upper house is only a consultative body. It consists of traditional leaders (Iroijlaplap), known as the Council of Irooj, who advise the lower house on traditional, cultural issues.  As of 2013, there are four members of the Council.
The lower house or Nitijela consists of 33 senators elected by 24 electoral districts. Universal suffrage is available to all citizens 18 years of age and older. The 24 electoral districts correspond roughly to each Marshall Islands atoll. The lower house elects the president who, with the approval of the Nitijela, selects a cabinet from among members of the Nitijela.  
Four district centers in Majuro, Ebeye, Jaluit, and Wotje provide local government. Each district elects a council and mayor and may appoint local officials. The district centers are funded by the national government and by local revenues. There are two political parties. Elections are held every four years. In 2011 Nishma Jamore was elected mayor of the district representing the Bikini people. Council members are elected from two wards on Ejit Island (three seats) and Kili Island (12 seats). 
The local government works with a U.S. paid Liaison Officer for Bikini Atoll Local Government, Jack Niedenthal, who is acting Bikini/Kili/Majuro Projects Manager. He is also the Tourism Operations Manager and oversees Bikini Atoll Divers.
یواساس کارلیسل (ایپیای-۶۹)
یواساس کارلیسل (ایپیای-۶۹) (به انگلیسی: USS Carlisle (APA-69) ) یک کشتی بود که طول آن ۴۲۶ فوت (۱۳۰ متر) بود. این کشتی در سال ۱۹۴۴ ساخته شد.
|آغاز کار:||۳۰ ژوئیه ۱۹۴۴|
|به دست آورده شده:||۲۸ نوامبر ۱۹۴۴|
|اعزام:||۲۹ نوامبر ۱۹۴۴|
|گنجایش:||85,000 cu. ft., 2,600 t.|
|وزن:||4,247 tons (lt), 7,080 t.(fl)|
|درازا:||۴۲۶ فوت (۱۳۰ متر)|
|پهنا:||۵۸ فوت (۱۸ متر)|
|آبخور:||۱۶ فوت (۴٫۹ متر)|
این یک مقالهٔ خرد کشتی یا قایق است. میتوانید با گسترش آن به ویکیپدیا کمک کنید.
Carlise APA-69 - History
Carlisle Monthly Membership Meeting
Carlisle Monthly Board of Directors Meeting
Carlisle Monthly Membership Meeting
Help us to continue making a difference in the community. Please make your tax deductible donation to Carlisle Fire Company today!
Shed Fire with Exposures to Residence
Carlisle responded with the mutual aid assistance of Ellendale, Houston and Greenwood to handle this incident that was contained to the shed.
This Day in Carlisle History
On this date in 1962, a massive storm was caused by an unusual combination of three (3) pressure systems, combined atmospheric conditions of the Spring Equinox which normally causes exceptional high tides. The storm stalled in the mid-Atlantic off of the south coast of New Jersey for nearly three (3) days pounding coastal areas with continuous rain and high winds, resulting in significant tidal surges and dumping large quantities of snow inland for several hundred miles, Such was the case along the tidal Atlantic and Delaware Bay beaches. The tributaries from the bay resulted in damaging flood waters miles inland. This was the case in Milford where the Mispillion River spilled over its banks flooding portions of the city's business district. During the height of the storm, water from the river measured as much as three (3) feet in depth at our former fire station located at the corner of Church and Southwest Front Streets. When it was apparent the first floor of the station would be flooded, the apparatus was re-located until the flood waters receded. Carlisle was involved assisting in a variety of rescues, service calls and investigating the welfare of many people along and near the Delaware Coastline. Not only did this storm alter the coastline it remains as one of the biggest coastal storms in Delaware history. The photograph is an aerial view of the Rehoboth and Dewey Beach coastline following the storm.
Carlisle Recognizes Robert Bob Caiola Posthumously
During the March meeting of the Carlisle Fire Company the membership voted to forever recognize the Late Bob Caiola from Associate Life to Life Membership Status posthumously.
Carlisle and Carlisle Auxiliary Mourns the Passing of Auxiliary Board Member Mariann Morton
It is with deepest regret that the Carlisle Fire Company and Auxiliary, with announcing the passing of Auxiliary Board Member Mariann Morton joining the Auxiliary in 2017. Mariann though only 4 years of membership was recognized and awarded "Auxiliary Member of the Year" in 2019. She served as Chairperson of the "10-17 Committee.
This Day in Carlisle History
On this date in 1960, a bread delivery driver on entering the Quality Market at 7:30 pm in downtown Milford reported a fire across the roof top to Bata Shoe store and Brereton Drug Store. Firemen on the scene were alerted that the blaze would spread through the entire block, as far as the Mispillion River. A cold winters day, the firemen were hampered by snow and 28 degree temperatures. Using the near by river for water, the Fire Company's new aerial ladder played a vital part in containing damage to those three stores. Damage estimates reached between $120,000-140,000 dollars.
"SOMETHING NOBLER AND HIGHER"
Of the 10,000+ Indian children who attended the Carlisle school over its 39 year life span, most returned to the reservation. Some of the returned students, much to Pratt's dismay, joined Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show. Pratt disliked the Wild West shows and was upset that he was forced to share exhibition space with Cody at the Columbian Exposition in 1893. Proud of the fine displays recognizing the stellar accomplishments of his Indian students, Pratt railed against the exploitation of Indians for show.
Enrollment at the Indian School began to swell as more and more nations' children were recruited. The original group of 82 grew to yearly averages of 1,000 students, necessitating more living and classroom space. The students built an administration building, a gymnasium for athletics, shops for the industrial training, and a chapel for worship on the grounds.
A cemetery was also needed.
The Carlisle Indian School Cemetery
At the Carlisle school, as on the reservations, the health of many Indian people was in peril particularly after European contact. Some students were stricken with tuberculosis or smallpox. Others could not cope with the severe stress of separation from family and tribe. Most of the children who became ill were sent back home to their families, but some did pass away at the school and are buried there.
From Luther Standing Bear’s book, Land of the Spotted Eagle, we hear the stories of an Indian informant who wrote about the deaths at Carlisle. He wrote about the responsibilities of a challenged youth, determined to make his family proud by braving the unknown, anticipating the possibility of never returning. His fears may have been exaggerated in their concerns about being killed, but the dread faced by his relatives and friends back home were realized in the numbers of Rosebud Sioux children buried in Indian Cemetery at Carlisle.
During the first five years of the Carlisle experiment, at least ten burials were of deceased children enrolled from Spotted Tail's Rosebud Agency. Three of the girls and two of the boys had traveled to school with the fifteen-year-old Luther. Their ages ranged from twelve to eighteen years. Two of these children who had arrived October 6, 1879 also passed away on the same day – fourteen months later.
"It was a sad and mysterious coincidence by which two of our pupils were taken from us by death on the night of the 13th of December, both of them being from the same agency and the same band of Sioux.
ERNEST, Chief White Thunder's son, was sent to the hospital in October to receive treatment for a slight sore throat. The applications being disagreeable he would not submit to them. He rejected not only medicine but nourishment, so that he became so weak and exhausted that when toward the latter part of his illness he was willing to recover, the most strenuous efforts proved powerless to save him. He was the only son of his father who was most anxious he should become an educated, useful man.
MAUD, (Little Girl) the daughter of Chief Swift Bear, was a bright, impulsive, warm-hearted girl, much loved by her school mates. She came to the Training School suffering from diseased lungs, and so had not strength to resist pneumonia which seized her. She was the first girl to die here, and the first Sioux out of more than ninety connected with the school.
Funeral services were conducted by Professor Lippincott, and the double burial is one which will never be forgotten by those who witnessed it.
EADLE KEATAH TOH., Vol. 1 No. 3, p. 3. December 1880.
Two days later, Pratt sent the following letter to Chief White Thunder:
The deaths of the relatives of Swift Bear and White Thunder on the same day, were of particular concern back home at the Rosebud Agency. Illnesses contracted at boarding schools, or brought to school from home communities were the typical communicable diseases so prevalent at the boarding schools: tuberculosis, trachoma, measles, pneumonia, mumps and influenza. ”Every off-reservation school had its own graveyard.”
Of the 192 native American Indian children buried in the Carlisle Indian School Cemetery from more than three dozen nations, the Apache represent the greatest number.
When Geronimo was arrested and sent to Ft. Pickens, Florida, the Chiricahua Apache women and children were sent to St. Augustine to the Ft. Marion prison. Conditions there were unspeakable. Food was scarce, disease rampant, and there was terrible overcrowding.
In 1886, Pratt traveled to the fort and chose 62 of the older Apache children to be removed to Carlisle. Many of these children were sent to Pennsylvania against the wishes of their grieving parents, who protested their departure, trying to hide them. Asa Daklugie was among this group along with the sons of Chatto, the scout who had helped General Crook convince Geronimo to surrender. Geronimo's son, Chappo was also sent with these children. One-fourth of the graves in the Carlisle Indian School cemetery hold the remains of these Apache children. Chatto's son Horace is among them.
Geronimo visited Carlisle en route to Washington for the inaugural parade of Teddy Roosevelt in 1905. He and head men representing several nations - American Horse and Hollow Horn Bear (Lakota), Little Plume (Blackfoot), Buckskin Charlie (Ute), and Quanah Parker (Comanche) rode on horseback through the streets of Carlisle, dressed in regalia. These six men addressed the students of the school, with Geronimo speaking the following words recorded in the "Carlisle Arrow",
March 9, 1905:
"My friends: I am going to talk to you a few minutes, listen well to what I say.
The Lord made my heart good, I feel good wherever I go, I feel very good now as I stand before you. Obey all orders, do as you are told all the time and you won't get hungry. He who owns you holds you in His hands like that and He carries you around like a baby. That is all I have to say to you."
Chiricahua Apache's from Geronimo's band as they arrived in Carlilsle in 1887 and after the assmimilation process began to take hold.
Hugh Chee, Bishop Eatennah, Ernest Hogee, Humphrey Escharzay, Samson Noran, Basil Ekarden, Clement Seanilzay, Beatrice Kiahtel, Janette Pahgostatum, Margaret Y. Nadasthilah, Fred'k Eskelsejah. November 4, 1886
Samson Noran, Fred'k Eskelsejah, Clement Seanilzay, Hugh Chee, Ernest Hogee, Margaret Y. Nadasthilah, Humphrey Escharzay, Beatrice Kiahtel, Janette Pahgostatum, Bishop Eatennah, and Basil Ekarden. Four months later